This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something from them, I earn a small percentage that helps keep The Spring Mount 6 Pack running.
Today’s Tasty Thursday Recipe is From Sarah who blogs at Education of a Stay at Home Mom. Be sure to check all her other recipes and stop by to say Hello.
Healthy Slow Cooker Stuffed Green Peppers
Each week, we try to find a new recipe to break up our dinner monotony. Recently, we broke out our crock pot and our copy of Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly and tried some Stuffed Green Peppers. They turned out great! Not only were they delicious, but they were also filling, easy to make, and healthy, too!
I made a few tweaks to the recipe–it’s a great recipe to modify according to what you have on hand. I could only find giant green peppers, so I only made four instead of six. I also threw in some shredded carrots and sliced mushrooms that we happened to have in the fridge. And I left out the mustard because my husband doesn’t like it and the pimentos because I don’t like them. Despite the additions and omissions, the flavor was full and savory and they held together great. It took about 15 minutes to prep, and then I stuck them in the crock pot and let it do the work. Take a look:
Stuffed Green Peppers
- 6 green bell peppers
- 1/2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp pimento, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 oz. can low-sodium whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 10&3/4 oz can condensed low-sodium cream of tomato soup
- Cut a slice off the top of each pepper. Remove core, seeds, and white membrane.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, onions, pimento, salt, black pepper, and corn.
- Spoon into peppers. Stand peppers up in slow cooker.
- Combine Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and tomato soup. Pour over peppers.
- Cover. Cook on low 5-6 hours.
Nutrition info per serving (makes 6 servings): 170 calories, 4.5g fat, 24g carbs, 4g fiber, 8g sugar, 11g protein.
Recipe from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly by Phyllis Pellman Good. Good Books: 2004, pg 83.